A new forum post on Weiphone.com has revealed a number of details about Apple’s upcoming plans for their MacBook notebooks as well as some details about their iWatch initiative. The author of the post has previously posted legitimate leaks and photos of un-released MacBook hardware in the past.
The poster writes about the upcoming MacBook Pro line as well as a new 12″ notebook that has previously been predicted. A MacRumors reader provides a summary translation of the post:
1. MacBook Air updates are coming soon; MacBook Pro updates won’t occur until September.
2. He discusses a new 12 inch notebook without fan assembly. It comes with a new trackpad design that doesn’t include the mechanical button, as we do on current MacBooks.
3. An Apple watch device does exist but still in prototype stage, so its announcement won’t come anytime soon.
It’s not entirely clear where the 12″ Apple notebook will fit in the product line. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo first predicted in October that Apple would be releasing a 12″ slim MacBook with a Retina Display this year:
We expect the unprecedented 12” model will boast both the portability of the 11” model, and productivity of the 13” model. The high resolution display will also offer the outstanding visual experience of the Retina MacBook Pro. The offering will likely be lighter and slimmer than the existing MacBook Air to further highlight ease of portability in the cloud computing era.
The buttonless trackpad design that the author describes may be related to a recent patent application by Apple which describes a buttonless trackpad design using an array of sensors and an actuator to mimic the function and tactile feedback of the current trackpad.
Recent Mac and iOS Blog Stories
• Twitter’s Little-Used Music App Shutting Down April 18
• Professionals Successfully Push Mac Pro to Absurd Limits With 558-Day Video Timeline in Final Cut Pro
• Apple Rolls Out New ‘Indie Game Showcase’ Section on App Store
• Civilization V Updated for Mac Pro, Includes 4K and OpenCL Support [Updated]
• Apple Seeds OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 Build 13D21 to Developers
• OS X 10.10 Mockup Shows Off ‘Flat’, iOS-Inspired Design
• GarageBand for Mac Updated with MP3 Export, New Drummers, and More
• Pebble Smartwatch Sales Climb to 400,000 Units, Revenue to Double in 2014